Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My new favorites...











Last summer at a Day With Dolls, a lovely and vibrant woman named Colleen demonstrated a technique for making paper clay over cloth doll faces. I was a bit shy, and just watched, but didn't participate at the time. I did take her instruction sheet home, and filed it away.

But I was never quite satisfied with my needlesculpted faces. They all tended to come out looking the same. This January, I started experimenting with clay over cloth. I loved the results. The clay gave me more control and is very forgiving. If I don't like it, I just take it off and try again. Coincidentally, in February, Maria and Stephanie gave a class in clay over cloth with cloth overlay at doll club, which extremely helpful in refining the technique.

"I dream of Africa", "My Funny Valentine" and "Jill Scott Bless My House" are my new favorite dolls. They are one of a kinds using a modified Culea body and paperclay over cloth heads.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I commissioned the Rebecca Gets Married doll for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law. It was the best gift at the bridal shower! The dress is dead-on accurate to the actual wedding dress. The doll is beautiful and the care and craftsmanship is clear in every nook, crany and garter of the doll. Best of luck to Janice in all her future endeavors.

Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

janice ..i love all of the new dolls...in particular, the first one...i love her face....and her feet!....wow...you are really moving along!! love colleen